Friday 22 November 2013

My pattern of writing.

I write in the morning before I have to shoot off to work. I write in my lunch breaks, sat mostly in my car. In front of the TV most evenings and as much as possible over the weekends.

I know you will probably think I have no life but writing IS my life. I like to use good old fashioned pen and paper (for a 30 something, technology really scares me!) and then I type it all up later. I know that sounds a bit long winded but I'm not always sat in front of my computer, and nor do I want to be. However I usually end up adding more as I edit and type it up!

I don't write from start to finish but as the story unfolds in my mind which could mean I write chapter ten first and then chapter one last, I usually know how I want the story to end but not how it begins! I keep a running index so I know where I want to place each chapter so I don't forget anything, believe it or not this makes it easier for me when it comes to editing.

I don't edit until I feel I have written all I can on the story, I then have a break for two weeks and then start the editing process in earnest. By the time I've finished editing the book has practically doubled in length. I usually edit my book three times but as I'm not published it will probably be edited again!

These are my techniques, they may sound crazy but they work for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment